Thursday, April 30, 2009

2nd chances

Last week I was saying my morning prayers and asked the Lord for a missionary opportunity. I have never really asked for an experience like this, but following counsel I did so.

I was sitting in my car waiting for Sam to fill a prescription at Fry's last week. As I sat there I observed an older man park next to me and get out. Then he proceeded to help his wife out of the car and walked hand and hand with her in to the store. I thought how awesome it was that they were holding hands, and showing signs of affection at their age.

I then saw them come out and I noticed that he was leading her, not walking with her. He did so with great admiration and patience for his dear wife. He placed the groceries in the trunk of the car and then opened the door for her, she sat down and he buckled her in. I thought immediately about the eternal plan. Any man that treats his wife like a queen here, deserves to have her for eternity. I thought that I needed to share my thoughts with him.

So I rolled down my window and proceeded to ask this man about himself and his wife. He told me about his wife and her Alzheimer's disease and that he cares for her because she cared for him and his children. That it was her turn. He told me of their life and her hobbies. Then Sam came out of the store, and came up to the car. The man said sorry to Sam for talking to his wife and quickly got in the car.

I told Sam that I needed to tell that man about the gospel, but that I didn't have a chance because he came out. I almost jumped out of the car and finished my conversation, but I didn't. I felt so unworthy of this chance. As I was driving down the road beating myself up, I heard, you prayed for a missionary experience. I really felt like a dork then. But at that time I asked that this man could receive the chance to hear of the gospel and I asked for another chance.

Low and behold!!! I had another chance!! I went to this store again on Tuesday. He was there almost like he was waiting for me. I went up to him and jogged his memory as to who I was. He asked if he had gotten me in trouble with my husband, and I laughed and said no. I then told him about a plan that I believed in, and that he could be with his wife, in her right state of mind, for eternity. I told him how wonderful I thought he was for caring for his wife in such a way that melted my heart and showed great respect for her and their loving relationship.

Thank heavens for second chances.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is such an awesome story Becky, I wish I was more outgoing like you, what a neat opportunity.

Katie said...

Wow Becky! That is so awesome! You are brave and such an example! How did he respond to you? Do you feel lke you planted a seed? What am I talking about?! I know you did. I sure hope it grows!

Barbie said...

Good for you. You are constantly amazing me. So young and so willing and so wise. Thank you for sharing.

HaHa said...

Thanks for sharing - I absolutely love that you got a second chance!

Kelsie said...

WOW your so awesome and brave! dont you just love getting 2nd chances its so great! your such a good example!

Suz said...

Heavenly Father's work... he knows us well... and he loves us all. Another reminder of his infinite wisdom and love. Good job for listening and obeying. You're awesome!

spring